It’s that time of year again when we try to find the perfect gift for our loved ones and some times we drive ourselves a little crazy in the process (or at least I do). There’s nothing quite like receiving a handmade gift that was made especially for you. Handmade gifts may seem a little old school but I know those who receive them really appreciate them and they’re always a little more memorable.
I know that nowadays we don’t have a lot of time but you can make some unique one of a kind gifts in little time. I’ve picked out a few of my favourite DIYs that I’ve made myself or found online that I think are perfect for gift giving.
When you want to make a few gifts during this already busy holiday season you have to keep a few things in mind:
- Don’t pick overcomplicated projects that have long material lists and take too long to make because you’ll never get them done in time.
- If you’re knitting your gifts then remember to stick to accessories and using bulky yarn because the fatter the yarn the quicker the knit.
- It’s helpful to get projects you can do while you wait like during your morning commute, at the doctor’s office, or on your lunch hour. Knitting projects are perfect for this because they’re portable and you can start and stop as many times as you want.
Here’s my handmade Christmas gift guide for 2014:
- The Big Bow Headband is my own pattern and I’ve gifted a couple of them. You have to be a little bolder to wear this one but it looks great and it’s definitely unique.
- The Vivi Slouch Hat knits up super fast because it’s a bulky yarn so you can make several of these in no time.
- The Simple Pleasures Hat is one of my favourite winter hats and I double stranded it with an angora wool so it’s extra cozy. This is great for any guy or lady in your life.
- It’s a Cinch headband looks great and is a no brainer so it makes the perfect last minute gift.
- The Skull shawl is on my to do list and I just think it’s really cool that they combine the old school grandma shawl with the edgier skull pattern.
- Picture my Blue Love clutch in wintrier colour like black or burgundy or winter white!
- This Braided headband is a throw back to the 80’s but in a good way!
- I made this fitted men’s toque last year for my brother-in-law and the fit was perfect.
- A cool Boyfriend scarf that looks awesome and I’m sure any boy in your life would be happy to have it.
- I LOVE this Tissue Paper Mug but I just have to get my hands on the right mod podge.
I’d love to hear what you guys are planning on making for that extra special someone cause I could always use more ideas.